Nuffnang

Thursday 22 March 2012

Insect Phobialogy: The dissecting of grasshopper!

This semester I'm taking Entomology as one of my main course.
It's a NIGHTMARE...
I'm seriously phobia with insects...
Especially big and flying insects...
So, for the first lab of Entomology,
we are required to observed and drew the specimens.
Seriously, this was my first time to look at an insects that "close".

I'm super scare of Bee...
Luckily, they are dead specimens..
If  suddenly they become like " The Night In The Museum",
I sure scare DIE DIE lo...
But the hardest part is drawing...
We need to draw the insects...
Scientific drawing with scale...
Damn.. I hate DRAWING..
Make me STRESS!!!
The second lab was a disaster too.
We are required to catch 5 life insects each person for dissecting....
Catch INSECTS!!!! OH NO!!!!

This is my course mate's Giant Stick Insects.
Luckily with the help of my course mates,
I have my specimens at last.. 

First, we need to make it DEAD.
We place the specimen into a jar covered with tissue dropped with few drops of etylacetate. 
P/s: It's quite hard to place them into the jar actually.
They keep tried to escape.
Then, we wait till it dead.
P/s: So cruel watching them slowing weaken and dead..

Then, we placed the specimens on the dissecting board and pinned it to fix its position.
And, We start dissecting it.. 
However, my specimen was too small so we take quite some time to dissect it.
P/s: Poor Grasshopper as it didn't die completely when we dissected it..
It's antennae is still moving!!!!
Amitofo...

Stereoscope is needed to observed our specimen.
P/s: Really Too small!!!

Here  this is the larger version of the dissected specimens.
We can see the heart and its muscle clearly.
The black colour thing in the middle is the heart.
Above it is the lung and orange colour thing beside it is the wing muscle.
P/s: Before this I never thought of what's inside an Insect!!!
And.. we need to draw it... ==
Haiz... It's isn't over yet...
I just know that we have to collect 25 insect specimen for collection 
and we still have another Fisiology lab that we need to learn how to preserved insects..
Oh GOD....
I just hate Bugs...


1 comment:

  1. it's fascinating to look at the internal of the insects !! it's soooo amazing !!

    ReplyDelete