Nuffnang

Thursday 26 April 2012

Imbak Canyon: Into The Heart of Borneo- Life in Virgin Jungle!

Finally.. It's The LAST part of Imbak Canyon Field Work!!!
Sorry for updating late for quite some time..
Cause I'm just super Duper busy with my Lap report and Assignment..
I have change my Blog Skin into really "Blue Sky" feel~ 
Thanks to my "sister" - William from http://sanguinewilliam.blogspot.com
for helping me finding this wonderful skin~ 
P/s: since he grumble that he was too free and had nothing to do~
Well, in this post I would like to talk bout more fun things I had during the Field work.
Lets have a look at the facilities in the Expedition camp first.

This is the tent that we slept in.
Boys and girls each in one big tent.

We were also being provided place to hang and dry our clothes.
P/s: Never hang your clothes outside during the night as it will get even soak after that!

The "LEGENDARY" Toilet in the middle of a virgin Jungle!
It just that you will eventually get your leg dirty again on the way you travel back and forth the toilet.

It was not too bad after all.. at least better than what I expected.
Just that you have to get use to all the insects and spiders that share the bathroom with you~
And NOT to forget the "CUTE" little leeches welcoming you inside too~

This was our laboratory where we processed our specimens here.




We process small mammal that we caught here too~
Cute little mountain rat that was still dizzy after awake from chloroform.
We make it faint to take it's measurement and weight.



The cafeteria where we spent most of our time here chit-chating and watch movie during our free time.

We have a great view of river and mountain from the cafeteria.
I just love to sit there, enjoy and relax~

This is the river located just beside the cafeteria.
It has crystal clear water and a really peaceful environment.
P/s: Except It turns chalky during the rain.

Can you spot me in this picture? xp

We have to pass through this river for many times in order to get to the forest on the other side.
It was quite dangerous as the river stream was very fast and it was very slippery.
I almost fall down and felt like gonna being swept away for few times when passing through it.

Despite the potential danger of the river, it has became our favourite spot to hang out and to have fun during the trip.
Just love to dip my leg into the flowing river and enjoy the chilliness~ 



And off course, how could we miss the fun of bathing in the river?!
We prefer the river than the bathroom provided for us~

We can even get free relaxing massage from the river~
It was a really cool experience to bath and play with friends in the river.
It's just hard to get this type of experience in the city now..

This is Uncle Chris- an experience tour guide in Imbak Canyon.
If you visits Imbak Canyon, he may be the one to guide you though this extraordinary trip~
Although he looks dark, but he is actually a Spanish Mix Chinese!
He is a really funny guy with fluent British accent English and many other foreign languages but don't really understand Chinese~
He has lot of stories and experience to share including GHOST story in Imbak!!
The story was so scary that everyone who listen to it was so worried and scared.
However, I still went to the "far far away" toilet alone in the middle of night due to everyone was asleep.
P/s: Lights off at 12 am... So I walk to the toilet alone with my little tiny torch light..
Wao... Suddenly feel that I am so brave after being forced by the situation~ xp


 After six days of field work, finally it's time to go home!!
Again, after gear up all the leeches prevention and my heavy back pack, its time to walk out from the forest~

This remind me of a poem that we used to learn during secondary school~
~The Road Not Taken~
P/s: But in forest, please don't ever take road that never walked by anyone as you might get lost and never walk out again!
Always follow the trails with marks along it~

After one hour walking, finally we reach the point where our 4 wheels come to pick us up.
Every one was tired yet very happy to go home~

Epic fail "cool" post by my course mates and me~



We say "hi" to Virgo again~
We have some calligraphy session using the car body as back ground~ 
After 8 hours of traveling, I'm finally back to Civilization!!!
After 6 days of losting contact to the world, I came back at one piece~
P/s: Excluded beaten by three leeches at my toes.



Finally the group photo of Conservation Biology!

After six days of field trip, I really do learn a lot and experience many "First time" in my life.
Feel tired yet fun~
That's the life of a Conservation Biologist~
Stay tune for my next field trip to Kota Belud in this Weekend!




No comments:

Post a Comment